May 22, 2020
Mother Butler Memorial High School opened its doors on September 14, 1959, with Mother Wilfred Stewart as the first principal. It began with one ninth grade class of 150 students. There was one lay teacher for Physical Education; and two sisters Sister Eileen Tuohy and Sister Laura Siebert that taught Religion, English, Algebra, and General Science, rotating between the classes. The students were divided into two homerooms.
From 1962 to 1967, Mother Francoise O’Hare served as the second principal. She prepared the school for the first Western Association of Schools and Colleges Evaluation. (WASC)
In this episode Sister Mary Leah Plante interviews Sister Eileen Tuohy who served as an educator at Mother Butler Memorial High School in San Jose, California from 1959 to 1967, and, Sister Angela Milioto who was a student in the Class of 1963.
In this delightful conversation Sister Eileen and Sister Angela share their stories of the early years at Mother Butler Memorial High School.
Pictured from left: Sr. Angela Milioto, RSHM and Sr. Eileen Tuohy, RSHM.
To find out more about the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary please visit us at www.rshm.org